Monday, March 21, 2011

After I had Annabella, I often felt overwhelmed and anxious. I felt like there weren't enough hours in the day, I was afraid the house would burn down and I wouldn't be able to get her out, and I was so sleep-deprived that I could barely see straight. But I was happy. I was in love with my baby. And life was hard, but good. Even on the bad days, the thought of seeing my little bundle of joy would bring a smile to my lips.

After I had Genevieve, I felt numb. And when I didn't feel numb, I often felt bad. I had a tough time bonding with my little baby, and I attributed this to not being able to spend as much time with her as I'd like, due to the postpartum hemorrhage. I felt like anybody else could and would do a better job taking care of her, and that she deserved more than I could give her.

At my 6 week postpartum appointment, I learned that the effects of the hemorrhage should be long over, and that the hemorrhage, while making me physically weak, should not have had a negative effect on my ability to bond with G. My doctor told me he thought I was suffering from postpartum depression.

Since then, I've learned a whole lot more about postpartum depression, and I gotta tell you, it's just not much fun.

No comments: